I adore award season red carpets, and the glitz and glamour of getting ready is my favourite part of the event. Lily James, Jessica Chastain, and Salma Hayek were some of the fabulous stars made even more gorgeous at the Golden Globes by Charlotte Tilbury, with their respective makeup artists incorporating the luminous look of the moment using Charlotte’s stunning collection of highlighters, brightening powders and luxurious palettes.
Makeup artist to the stars Mary Phillips on Salma Hayek’s beauty look, which included Charlotte Tilbury’s Instant Eye Palette in Smokey Eyes are Forever and Charlotte’s Magic Cream:
“The inspiration tonight was luminosity – with a hint of rose for – for the iconic Salma Hayek.”
A scroll through beauty TikTok will quickly tell you that the hottest trend in makeup right now is using a highlighter to gain that luminosity. With the right technique and product, highlighting can enhance your natural beauty by illuminating and defining your cheekbones, brow bone, and the bridge of your nose, giving your skin a healthy, radiant glow. I love Charlotte Tilbury’s highlighters because they are designed to stay put all day long- no need for touch-ups. What elevates them is the lightweight formulation; finely-milled powders and light-reflecting particles that create a radiant, luminous finish with no caking or creasing. You simply never feel weighed down by heavy makeup.
The launch of Charlotte’s NEW! Hollywood Glow Glide Face Architect Highlighter gives that sculpted and illuminated TikTok Glow everyone is desiring. So how do you apply highlighter to get that radiant glow? Let me break it down for you darlings with my step-by-step guide:
- Start by prepping your skin. Apply your foundation, concealer, and setting powder as usual.
- Choose your Charlotte Tilbury highlighter shade. In the video below, I’m using Glow Glide Face Architect highlighter in Moonlit Glow.
- Using a small, fluffy brush (scroll down for my guide to choosing the right brush) gently TAP the brush in the highlighter powder, tapping again to remove any excess.
- Apply the highlighter to the high points of your face, such as your cheekbones, brow bone, and the bridge of your nose. You can also add it to the cupid bow above your lip. Use a light hand and build up the intensity as desired.
- Blend the highlighter using circular motions until it’s seamlessly blended with your skin.
- You can also up the intensity for a more dramatic, evening look, and use on your collarbones and shoulders for an all-over radiance. And if you wet a fine eye brush you can intensify the highlighter and glow baby glow!
As you can see from my video, your brush is an important tool for creating this glow. Here are a few options:
Fan brush: A fan brush is a popular choice for applying highlighter, especially if you’re looking for a subtle, natural-looking glow. The fan shape allows you to sweep the product over a large area, while the soft bristles help to blend the highlighter seamlessly into your skin.
Small fluffy brush: If you’re looking for a more precise application, a small fluffy brush is best. This type of brush has shorter bristles than a fan brush, which allows for more control over where the product is applied. A small fluffy brush can be particularly useful if you want to apply highlighter to specific areas, such as the inner corners of your eyes or the tip of your nose.
Stippling brush: A stippling brush can be a good choice if you want to build up the intensity of your highlighter. The brush has two layers of bristles, with a dense layer at the bottom and a lighter layer on top. This allows you to pick up more product and apply it in layers, creating a more intense glow.
Beauty blender or sponge: For a more natural, diffused look, you can also use a beauty blender or sponge to apply your highlighter. Simply tap the product onto the areas you want to highlight, using a bouncing motion to blend it into your skin.
Glow my darlings glow! JP xo